Monday, January 3, 2011

Psalm 56

For the director of music. To the tune of “A Dove on Distant Oaks.” Of David. A miktam.[b] When the Philistines had seized him in Gath.
 1 Be merciful to me, my God,
   for my enemies are in hot pursuit;
   all day long they press their attack.
2 My adversaries pursue me all day long;
   in their pride many are attacking me.
 3 When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
 4 In God, whose word I praise—
in God I trust and am not afraid.
   What can mere mortals do to me?
 5 All day long they twist my words;
   all their schemes are for my ruin.
6 They conspire, they lurk,
   they watch my steps,
   hoping to take my life.
7 Because of their wickedness do not[c] let them escape;
   in your anger, God, bring the nations down.
 8 Record my misery;
   list my tears on your scroll[d]
   are they not in your record?
9 Then my enemies will turn back
   when I call for help.
   By this I will know that God is for me.
 10 In God, whose word I praise,
   in the LORD, whose word I praise—
11 in God I trust and am not afraid.
   What can man do to me?
 12 I am under vows to you, my God;
   I will present my thank offerings to you.
13 For you have delivered me from death
   and my feet from stumbling,
that I may walk before God
   in the light of life.
Footnotes:
  1. Psalm 56:1 In Hebrew texts 56:1-13 is numbered 56:2-14.
  2. Psalm 56:1 Title: Probably a literary or musical term
  3. Psalm 56:7 Probable reading of the original Hebrew text; Masoretic Text does not have do not.
  4. Psalm 56:8 Or misery; / put my tears in your wineskin

4 comments:

  1. I should've been asleep two hours ago. But I'm still up and I can't fall asleep. I'm kept up at night with a lot of thoughts and worries lately. I think verse 4 really resonates with me tonight. "In God, whose word I praise — in God I trust and am not afraid." I don't know, that sounds really poetic and beautiful but so hard to actually do in the real world. I guess that's my prayer tonight, to trust in God and not be afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first verse caught my attention and is also my prayer this new year. God is merciful, it is clearly written in His word. I pray, and hope that I will continue to trust and consistently turn to Him daily this year to meet me exactly where I am.

    by the way, this is really cool. i'm glad we're doing this together and sharing our vulnerabilities. cheers to authenticity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why but whenever I read these intense psalms by David I keep thinking, "What a drama queen!" Haha I don't really believe that he is because I'm sure his persecution was real... and I'm sure if I kept a record of all of my "sufferings" it would sound similar and way more dramatic. The first part reminds me of what Pastor Sam was saying about how we don't really get persecuted of our faith here in the US and how fortunate we are to freely worship.

    One phrase that sticks out for me is "What can mere mortals do to me?" and "What can man do to do me?" It's a reminder that this life was meant to live for Christ and not for the praise from people. That my standard of living should be that of something greater than myself and what the world tells me I should hold of value.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i appreciate the participation, sistas!

    ReplyDelete